Nearly two weeks after Joe Biden was projected because the winner of the US presidential election, Donald Trump remains to be refusing to concede. Does he have a plan to overturn the result?
The president’s authorized technique to problem the election outcomes appears to be falling on deaf ears in courtrooms throughout the nation. Trump’s crew has but to notch a significant victory, or current proof of widespread voter fraud, after submitting dozens of lawsuits.
His prime lawyer, former New York Metropolis mayor Rudy Giuliani, mentioned on Thursday that the marketing campaign was dropping its authorized challenges in Michigan, which Biden received by greater than 160,000 votes.
In Georgia, the state has licensed its election tabulations, which give Biden simply over a 12,000 vote lead after the state carried out a hand recount of almost 5 million ballots.
As doorways to remaining in workplace slam shut, the president seems to be shifting methods for flipping the election outcomes from a longshot authorized one to a longer-shot political gambit.
A step-by-step information to Trump’s technique
This is what he could hope to do:
- Block the vote-certification course of in as many states as doable, both via lawsuits or by encouraging Republican officers to object
- Persuade Republican-controlled legislatures in states Biden narrowly received to dismiss the outcomes of the favored vote as corrupted by widespread fraud
- Have the legislature then award their state’s Electoral Faculty votes, that are forged by “electors” on 14 December, to Trump as an alternative of Biden
- Try this in sufficient states – Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania, as an illustration – to tug Trump from his present complete of 232 electoral votes previous the successful 269-vote mark
- Even pulling Biden from 306 votes may work, as a result of then the election could be determined within the Home of Representatives, the place though it is managed by the Democrats, Trump would have a bonus attributable to some arcane guidelines